Improving Assembly Design and Manufacturing Efficiency Saves Medical Device Manufacturer More Than $1.5 Million
Our customer, a world leader in image guided and stereotactic clinical solutions radio surgery and radiation therapy medical devices, was less competitive in the marketplace because of manufacturing costs and production limitations. TT Electronics was manufacturing electronic assemblies for the customer and sending them to one of the customer's manufacturing facilities for final box build assembly. The result was higher labor costs and slower manufacturing performance.
TT Electronics engineers developed a cost reduction program and a complete design refresh to upgrade the entire assembly while meeting key milestones over a multi-year period. The original computer rack needed to be upgraded to PCBA rack assembly and cabinet to improve manufacturing efficiency and cost. As a result, TT Electronics upgraded PCBA's, cables and harnesses, connectors, backplanes, metal enclosers, transformers and plastics throughout the assembly.
- Assembly and design refresh was consolidated into one TT Electronics facility where all work was done prior to delivery.
- TT Electronics developed a complete testing process including robust functional and ICT test platforms to ensure customer and regulatory compliance.
- All device and sub component were serialized for traceability and performance tracking.
- TT Electronics provided direct fulfillment "dock to stock" logistics solution.
- All device and sub component sourcing was localized regionally and sent to our low-cost region manufacturing facility.
Assembly time was cut in half while labor costs were dramatically reduced to produce a savings of $30,000 per box build. Total saving over $1.5 million over ten years.
When Manufacturing Challenges Happen, TT Electronics delivers
Change is the only variable we can count on in today's highly volatile marketplace. Change is constant and as a partner to our customers, TT Electronics must embrace change. When changes effect our customers, it affects us. We work together with our customers and their suppliers to find solutions to challenges that arise over months and sometimes overnight.